Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Blog Negativity

Why is it so hard to find sites like this?

There are many sites that talk about their experiences in Korea. Many paint a picture of balance - some have managed to find some niche where the pros and cons balance; some have not. People can only tolerate so much. Some, like my girlfriend, don't want to sound negative.

Many sites mix the social life aspect of Korea with the work life. Some mix popular news with the ins and outs. I focused on teaching and all that it entails; it's the thing we were contractually hired and tricked into doing. So, yes, my site is negative. I don't like to be messed with; I don't think anyone does.

The thoughts that run through my mind are: Who will read this? Will it help someone? Will people think these stories are made up? I wish I could have made more videos, since, in Korea, things don't exist unless you have proof. Will there be repercussions of saying my story down the line? Will I be blacklisted from Korea which is still fairly common? - Link. When will the cycle of maltreatment end? Will people just think I'm a bad person? (I'm happy-go-lucky and social to those that know me and I held my own in teaching; I just get peeved at the bait and switch techniques used to hire and manipulate English teachers.)

Will I get labeled as a troublemaker, a Korea image-breaker, a propagandist's example of a bad native English teacher, while the horrendous Korean teachers I was supposed to work with, and those scattered around Korea, continue on their merry way?

Will anything change?

People don't want to be labeled whiners, gripers, flamers. They just want to speak up about their problems, the problems that weren't stated up front, the problems that are unjust and continuing. Korea teaches native teachers to bite their lip till it bleeds. People are sick and tired of their mistreatment, their inability to get help when needed, the inability to speak out against injustice. Even if you did manage to speak out, who would listen, what would change? It would be your word against theirs and the scales-of-trust don't lean far on your end; it's not as if you have a voice here, they would actually prefer that you didn't. If someone does listen, no effort is made to fix it, no one cares. Teaching English is a facade that must be maintained at all costs.

Many lived and worked here by teaching English in Korea and they share many similar problems; they close their eyes and wait to leave with money in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment