Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Machavelli would be proud


Korean schools and teachers must have read The Prince by Machavelli, because they know the playbook by heart. They will lie, steal, cheat, and do anything possible to get their way, at any cost.

An example is when a co-teacher was trying to make me do all the work for the demonstration alone. I refused to a point because she was never trying to cooperate with me; she never took the time to actually work with me and the demo was supposed to show this supposed semester-long co-teaching in action. She spouted many lies about how she would change and next semester she would try harder to work closer together with me. Etc, bullshit, lies.

The contract is a big one too, many lies in there. They’ll are readily willing to point out random clauses that are super ambiguous in order to defend their atrocious actions of treating you like a servant.

I’ll list a few that they’ll try to wave their magic wand at:

The contracts aren't getting better over time either... they have gotten worse. Mine is from 2009-10 Gepik.

Stealing is what they do best. More often than not, they will come into your room and take your worksheets. Not because they are going to review them for class like they claim, but because it’s much faster to steal stuff from the native teacher than to actually think for themselves. I know they don’t review the stuff they take, because they still walk into class with a blank-look on their faces when the lesson occurs. My demo co-teacher asked for my demo power point numerous times; I always refused. I’ll be damned if I’m going to make her look good after she (and all the other co-teachers at my school) did absolutely nothing. They’ll also try to take anything you don’t have nailed down, power points, books, etc. They’ll ask for it and quite possibly take it when you’re not looking. I wouldn’t give them anything and passworded the slides. They’ll ask/tell you to submit your materials that you used/taught previously over the semester; At that point, I would suddenly lose them.

No comments:

Post a Comment