Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Machiavelli Case Study

Case in point: I taught afterschool advanced classes levels 1,2, and 3. Levels 1 and 2 were with separate co-teachers. Level 3 was by myself. When I asked why I didn’t have a co-teacher for level 3, the 2nd level teacher (Gang) smiled as she thought about the prospect of making more money and then remembered something and mentioned that there wasn’t enough money budgeted. So, it wasn’t anything to do with my ability to teach the classes which were exactly the same size and full of advanced students which understand enough English for me to teach alone. It was only about money. A money grab for the Korean English teachers who thought they could make a quick buck making me do all the work and them standing there doing nothing as usual.

As a new teacher you don’t realize the state of them taking advantage of you immediately; it takes time and you have to start talking to others to figure it out. A sense of injustice tends to build over time naturally as well.

After one semester of it, I had had enough. I confronted the two teachers. Somehow, I had figured out that the teachers got paid extra to teach the after school classes with me. It’s amazing how they are willing to take advantage of someone until that person figures out the inequality.

I drew them a little picture since it’s the fastest way to convey a simple idea. Basically, they get paid more, I get paid more, we worked for one semester (supposedly together), I did all the work alone, they’ll do all the work alone for the second semester and I’ll act like them and walk into class without any preparation whatsoever. I call it the fairness chart.

The beginning second semester seemed to flow, they did the work like I told them to. This occurred for about 1.5 months. Then, my co-teacher told me the bad news (as usual). She said that because my hours were 20 and they were supposedly able to work me to 22 hours without paying overtime; also that they weren’t going to pay me overtime. It was excellent timing on their part. So, then I asked about the pay. That’s when she dropped the bomb; she said my overtime wasn’t being attached to my monthly pay, it was being paid at the end. And, since it was considered an error, they were correcting it and I wouldn’t see a dime for the work I had already put in for the 1.5 months of staying after school. At that point, I lost all faith in Koreans. On top of it all, in the same conversation, she asked if I would teach the afterschool classes pro bono (for free). I had to contain myself pretty hard not to laugh in her face.

I have to remind you at this point, I worked in a public school (which is supposed to be better), not a private school whom are notorious for already doing this.

Step 1 Make native teacher work.

Step 2 Don’t pay native teacher for work completed.

Step 3 Ask native English teacher to work more for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment